EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Magic

EFMods Forum Archive - Off Topic
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 11:01 am, 5th October 2003
Now for my next video. This one's small enough to fit on my ASU space (which I'm going to get upgraded soon). This video was just a test of our new technologies. I had nothing to do with the planning or editing of this video. I was just in it. My roomate came up with the whole thing. I think it's cool, though a little wierd.

What do you think?

http://www.public.asu.edu/~cfoncan/movies/Magic.mp4

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 1:59 pm, 5th October 2003
Nice ketchup Na na!

That's pretty cool! What are you using?
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 3:24 pm, 5th October 2003
NOOOOO!!! Derek!!! LOL!

That was very, um, different.

Captain of the USS Serenity
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 9:19 pm, 5th October 2003
Dobberman said:
Nice ketchup Na na!

That's pretty cool! What are you using?

I used Final Cut Pro as usual, though it's version 4 now rather than version 3. The effects used "LiveText" I think, I don't really remember what it's called.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 1:04 am, 6th October 2003
Well Sporto its interesting, I like the cinematograpy in the first half, second half I didn't really get, but hey its cool, good work. Have you ever tried Adobe Premiere, works great, great effects, if you know how to use photoshop its a breeze. Only problem is its over $700 so yeah. But great program I love it. Same with Photoshop and Image Ready. And you can use Both for movie editing but the problem is you have to edit it frame by frame. Takes time but that is real movie art there.

Deputy Security Officer up for hire...
-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
Trip:"That hadn't always been my experience."
-ENTERPRISE Episode 22: "Fallen Hero"
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 4:20 am, 6th October 2003
Ooo, don't take sporto away from his home now. He knows whats out there. He knows E...VERY...THING!!!!! Na na! I actually am looking forward to next school year when i'll be taking Digital Video Editing (or something like that) for my finearts credit (will take it in my block X though. Sad ) The stuff they do is on the school website: http://www.credochs.org/pages/digitalmovies.html. Some of it's good and some of it's pretty dumb but i say avoid the short stories (definately) and the documentaries aren't the best either. Info on what equipment is used is on the website (not a very good website either) and your most likely not going to find anything on 2003/2004 since it's just started. What ever! ... and no i'm not in any of the movies. i didn't make them and i didn't star in them or be in the background of them either. LOL!

Navigator - USS Serenity

LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 5:09 am, 6th October 2003
The funny thing is I've just tought myself how to use Photoshop and Image Ready and Premiere, once you figure out Photoshop the rest is easy. But there is like a 1000 page long book on how to use Photoshop if anyone's interested. Haha I'd never read it that's for sure. But my advice is stick with what you are comfortable with. That's the best thing to do.

-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 5:30 am, 6th October 2003
Actually this year i'm taking "Graphic Arts 11" for my block X course. (supposed to be homework block if you don't want any extras. it happens once a week [for those who don't know]). Anyway, we're using Photoshop which is a little of a change from Paint Shop Pro 7 Na na!. It's so simple. The teacher tells us to do things and we do them and then people get stuck in the process and then the teacher has to help them and i get frustrated because it's so easy and i don't see how you can't get it :S. See what happens when i get to much computer time? Na na! Everybody slows me down. Occasionally the teacher tells us to write/type notes on how things have to be done... i say screw it (not really out loud) then he asks stupid questions at the end like: "Name 2 ways in which you can zoom in and out of a picture." or "Name 2 ways in which an image can be rotated." Personally i don't like the whole quiz thingy because once he shows us how to do it i'll know how to do it in the future, i can't really explain numerous ways of doing something. He teaches us a bunch of ways, i pick the best way, thats the way i do it from that time on. screw the other ways. takes to much time. Na na! LOL! anyway, post to long. post sound like chatting on an IM. What ever! LOL! Na na!

Navigator - USS Serenity

sporto78
Captain

Posted at 5:51 am, 6th October 2003
LOL, some of those movie were very...interesting.

When you take that class you should have me throw in some variable speed and 3d effects. Make your teacher wonder how you did that with imovie. Grin

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 6:03 am, 6th October 2003
LOL! ya that would be neat. with the movies from last years class... i feel that i could make them better or i could have done better in the first place. I wouldn't even settle for what they have made right on the website. It's a disgrace! LOL!

Navigator - USS Serenity

sporto78
Captain

Posted at 6:22 am, 6th October 2003
LOL, glad you said it so I don't have to. Wink

Seriously though, if you ever need an "upgrade" to any movie you might make, just ask me. We'll ensure you've got the most impressive movie ever made by that school. Grin

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 3:47 pm, 6th October 2003
Question Sporto: What kind of camera did you guys use?

-----------------
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 6:45 pm, 6th October 2003
For this video we used a Sony Digital 8mm Handycam. Nothing fancy.

Though we also have a MiniDV and GL2 3CCD w/ external mic (Think TV quality resolution).

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 7:25 pm, 6th October 2003
I actually like that lil Sony 8mm, good for just grabbing a camera and filming stuff, but if you really want to do some filming use Canon's XL1S camera, that thing is absolutely awsome.

-----------------
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 7:35 pm, 6th October 2003
The XL1 was one of our choices, but we chose the GL2 because we got a good discount price on it.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 7:36 pm, 6th October 2003
The GL2 is sweet too, I can't afford either though. How much did you get the GL2 for?

-----------------
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 7:46 pm, 6th October 2003
I don't know, I didn't buy it, my friend did. We all share our equipment though, so I refer to everything as ours. Wink

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 7:50 pm, 6th October 2003
Haha that's probably better for you. I was just looking at the pricing for the XL1, listed around 3500 right now. I can't come close to affording that. But if I had one of those I'd go crazy filming, I'd love it.

-----------------
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 7:54 pm, 6th October 2003
That's why we've done so many videos. Wink

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 8:00 pm, 6th October 2003
I'll be honest. I'm jealous. I have to wait like a month to get to use one, and I only get like a day to actually use it. It ain't right. Well just consider yourself lucky.

-----------------
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 8:12 pm, 6th October 2003
LOL, I only get to use it every now and then anyway, the guy who owns it is going to school 90 minutes south in Tuscon.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 8:29 pm, 6th October 2003
Dang that sucks. At least that's not an issue with me. Its just whenever this person is not using it. I feel for ya.

-----------------
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:15 am, 7th October 2003
Some friends of mine want me to do a short "documentary" for a friend of ours who is getting married. I wasn't sure if I was going to do it, but I got the invite in the mail today so I think I'm invited to the reception but it will suck because all my friends will be at the head table and not me. I give that two mehs.

Captain of the USS Serenity
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 3:11 am, 7th October 2003
Yeah I hear ya. I say crash the reception and smack 'em all upside their heads. No, just kidding.

-----------------