EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

EF2 interactive consol (role Play)

EFMods Forum Archive - Mapping Help
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 7:36 pm, 8th November 2003
I have managed to make a small room with a small corridoor hehe and i have managed to put a Consol and for ages i was woundering how to make it so you dont walk threw it ive managed to do that but now what i want to know is how you make it turn on some thing like a view screen to make it interractive?

Thanks

If you dont mind me saying so i think ive gone prety far since i first started "TRYING" to map for EF hehe and im quite pleased what ive done
Get a Life Get Half Life2
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:30 am, 9th November 2003
I know how to do it in EF1, but EF2 has different entities.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 11:09 am, 9th November 2003
how do you do it in EF1 if i no that then i could prob get info from that and work my way around EF2 or may be go and see if i can do it on EF1 GDK

Thanks
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 11:59 am, 9th November 2003
In EF1 it was a combination of func_usables and sound keys and things I think, but in EF2 it's all done with scripts I believe.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 3:46 pm, 9th November 2003
In EF1 it was like this:

func_usable -> target_speaker

The func_usable was set to always_on with a wait value of 1, but in EF2 there's no such thing as a func_usable anymore. Sam knows how to do it.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Borgking
Cadet 4th Year

Posted at 3:02 am, 13th November 2003
i know how to do it too.incase you didnt know,im a mapper and scripter for an EF2 mod,so i do know a few things about scripting
"Warp core breaches have never been more fun."
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 7:17 pm, 13th November 2003
hi BorgKing if you got time can you do ruff and quck tutorial on how to use buttons and stuff i tried looking at the help page on radient of EF2 and i carnt find its probly there in front of my eyes but there you go hehe

thanks if you can but only if you are able to be bothered thanks
Bicko
Lieutenant-Junior Grade

Posted at 11:05 am, 17th April 2004
Hey, there's 2 ways to do this: the scripting way or the easy way (easy way has it's problems.. but it is much easier if (like me) you hate scripting).

If you really do want to make it look clean, then you should really head over to http://www.ritualistic.com/ and check out the EF2 Editing Forums -loads of help over there.

Now for the easy way. All you have to do is place a func_door above/below the hole for the viewscreen. Have all the edges of your door covered with the common/nodraw texture so that you can't see them through a wall.

On the door itself you should tick the TOGGLE tickbox and enter this;
Quote:
key: lip
value: 1
This will make the door go all the way through the wall you've placed it in. Obviously, you need to set the direction as Up or Down depending on where you've placed it.

Now to make sure that you can't see the door actually moving when it's triggered you need to set;
Quote:
key: speed
value: 50000
When I said "it has it's problems" I meant this.. because at this speed you can't see it in realtime -but slow the timescale down and you can spot it.

I'm going to presume you've used a model for this console of yours.. well all models are nonsolid so to stop the player walking through it you need to clip it yourself. There are 2 clip textures: CLIP which stops all players from moving through it and CLIPALL which stop players and weapons fire. (Both textures are in the common folder)

Create a brush around your model and texture it with one of these and the player can't walk through it.

Now for the trigger. Simply create a trigger_use, give it the trigger texture and make it target your door (if you don't know how to do this, select the trigger_use FIRST then the func_door then press ctrl+K and it will automatically target it).

To stop players making the viewscreen turn on/off every 0.1 seconds you'll need to do this on your func_use;
Quote:
key: wait
value: 2
This will make the trigger_use have a wait of 2 seconds after each use before it's useable again.

I hope this helps you out.
Borgking
Cadet 4th Year

Posted at 11:12 pm, 29th April 2004
or you could use the hide and show commands.i know theres a tutorial that explains how to make a code that can hide and unhide (in the tutorial,its a forcefield) something,but it requies special code,so the game knows when its on and off and what to do when it is either
"Warp core breaches have never been more fun."