EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Stupid Computers and Stupid Things

EFMods Forum Archive - Off Topic
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:47 pm, 10th November 2003
Well while browsing the forums earlier today, I had a rather unfortunate and random blue screen error from my computer. Not so uncommon, it being a Microsoft program after all, especially with Windows ME.

When I restarted, I found a necessary system file corrupt, and Windows wouldn't load whatsoever. Boot disks didn't help either.

So, in the end after trying loads of possible solutions (the most you can do in 2 and a 1/2 hours) I just gave up and formatted the computer. It meant 11 months of work all gone with no hope of recovery. How lucky I am.

So after a Windows installation, installing some drivers, the Internet connection and MSN, I'm back to where I am now, rather annoyed and .... tired.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:56 pm, 10th November 2003
You should still give recovery a try, it is possible after a format. I don't have the link to the one I used but it was called GetDataBack i think.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 10:55 pm, 10th November 2003
I think when I got mad at my computer, removed the primary disk partition and did a full format, it won't be possible to do that. Especially with the level of corruption there already was there....

Filenames were corrupted. C:\windows\system itself was corrupted a LOT and you couldnt read a thing from it. Scandisk tried to repair some but had no luck. It had files sharing the same disk space and were half corrupted. It found errors in the EF folder, BC folder, random assorted other folders...

The system restore folder C:/_RESTORE had countless errors in it. There was over 2000000 bytes (basically 2GB) of data unreadable, "possibly lost file fragments", it ended up restoring them to over 200 files, which themselves had more errors in them and were partly unreadable.

In DOS there were filenames that had lovehearts, smilie faces, triangles, etc, things that are clearly corrupted a lot.

And I think it was a full format, I couldn't be bothered with it, since I went and deleted the primary disk partition aswell.

Besides, it fixed countless normal errors I had, and my computer ran extremely slow normally. This gives me a normal fresh start.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:22 am, 11th November 2003
I know how it feels to lose everything. Happened to me once and I was devastated. Fortunately for you, you can get some of it back by asking the people you did stuff for to send you a copy of it.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 6:59 am, 11th November 2003
That's also why we don't use Windows ME. Eek!
ME = EVIL
That crap died on me at least a hundred times when playing games. Microsoft FisherPrice is quite a bit better with handling EVERYTHING.

Navigator - USS Serenity

Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:41 am, 11th November 2003
The only reason we got ME on the computer in the first place is because when my dad ordered the computer, it was the newest one around, well, XP just came out a few weeks back but there was all the things about programs and hardware not being compatible so he got ME.

*thinks* I wish I had read those 22 unread emails I had...

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 6:27 pm, 11th November 2003
sorry doood
Get a Life Get Half Life2
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:44 am, 12th November 2003
Only program that didn't work for me on XP was the software that came with my scanner. I wasn't able to scan anything for several months until somebody figured out you can use the generic USB driver.

Vanhal
is going to kill you!!!

Posted at 7:35 pm, 12th November 2003
<----- uses ME, and you didn't need to format to reinstall, thats just stupid, duh......

also when using me the most important words ever are "scanreg /restore"
ah good old scanreg restore, kept my curerent system up for the last 2 years or so Happy

Last edited by Vanhal on 31 Feb 2003 25:71, edited 9385 times in total
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:07 pm, 12th November 2003
Actually I did need to reformat to reinstall, the install/setup program wouldnt let me when it detected Windows was already on, in the mess it was already in.

scanreg /restore would run System Restore basically? I wish that would have helped, but sadly it wouldnt since some of the corrupted files or files sharing the same disk space were in the C:\_restore folder Sad

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:36 am, 13th November 2003
AFAIK scanreg /restore just restores your registry. Dunno if it's exactly the same as system restore.