EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Mozilla sucks

EFMods Forum Archive - Crusader's Place
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:10 am, 11th March 2004
Mozilla is being hailed as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Reviewers are telling everyone to switch from Internet Explorer to Mozilla, but is it really all it's cracked up to be? My boss thinks so, and he's using it on both his home and office machine, which has given me a chance to see just how crap it really is.

Both the latest stable version of Mozilla (1.6) as well as the latest beta of Firefox have a huge problem, they can't display tables properly. Mozilla claims to adhere to the W3C standards, but that's just not the case. Vertical alignment in a table cell is ignored, as well as cell width. Speaking of standards, if you open up Mozilla's built-in HTML editor, there's no doctype specified by default. According to what I've read, it's supposed to auto-detect based on how you code. Sorry but that's not enforcing proper HTML syntax.

Two things that don't work in Firefox, are Javascript and ActiveX controls. Client-side scripting is essential, and without ActiveX you can't go to Windows Update. Sure ActiveX is a security risk, but how do they expect people to switch away from Internet Explorer if they have to use it for visiting Windows Update?

Conclusion: Mozilla is utter crap, and Internet Explorer will always be #1, no matter how much the Linux freaks would like to change that. My manager is going to send a letter to Mozilla telling them to fix the tables and javascript, but there seems to be no way they'll support ActiveX which means that despite the uber fast load times of Firefox, I'll be sticking with good old Internet Explorer.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 3:01 pm, 23rd July 2004
I know this is an old post, but this time I actually know what the hell you're talking about lol. Back in March I thought Mozilla was some stupid spyware crap that manages to install itself on your computer without you knowing but I think I had that confused with something else. Anyway, don't you use the automatic windows update? That way you don't need to use a browser at all. Also, Microsoft has it's own standards which aren't always the same as W3C standards, some people write html based on the microsoft standards (and if you use programs like Frontpage it's automatically in Microsoft's standard) and those pages won't work in Firefox.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 5:52 am, 28th July 2004
Automatic Windows Update only downloads critical updates. There's other stuff you can download too.

Microsoft doesn't have their own standards, they just adhere to older W3C standards. Frontpage is set for HTML 4.01 Transitional which there's nothing wrong with. Mozilla is the piece of crap that doesn't render the HTML properly.

Captain of the USS Serenity