EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

New Hazard Team Member

EFMods Forum Archive - Old Stuff
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:44 pm, 2nd June 2002
I am currently trying to make a skin for a new hazard team member for Voyager Series 8 (this is a single player skin). I am using the head of the imperial captain from elite force. When I try to add the new head to a body, the head is really low on the body. I tried putting it on a different model (biessmans head) but the textures all went screwy. Do you have any ideas?

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 7:47 pm, 2nd June 2002
I have no experience in modding but I think you should make the neck longer if it is really low if thats what your saying

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:49 pm, 2nd June 2002
How do you make the neck longer?

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 7:50 pm, 2nd June 2002
I am not sure, you could ask Laz Rojas

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:23 pm, 2nd June 2002
Just wait for Worf55 to see this, I'm sure he can be of some help.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 4:28 am, 3rd June 2002
Worf55 comes here from time to time, but he doesn't post much.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 1:07 pm, 3rd June 2002
Well, these are his forums. He hasn't been online much that's all.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Worf55
Kai

Posted at 9:28 pm, 4th June 2002
Simmo666 said:
I am currently trying to make a skin for a new hazard team member for Voyager Series 8 (this is a single player skin). I am using the head of the imperial captain from elite force. When I try to add the new head to a body, the head is really low on the body. I tried putting it on a different model (biessmans head) but the textures all went screwy. Do you have any ideas?

I am ever so sorry - i havent been online much lately Happy

Which body are u putting it on?

Anyways - save the .md3 and its textures to a folder you can access easy!

What you should do is download milkshape3d www.milkshape3d.com and then open the model in the program:

IMPORTING

File
----
Import -> Quake 3 arena MD3

Then select the head.md3 - or whatever it may be called.

TEXTURISING

Now go to the "groups" tab and select the face:
After selecting the face (it'll probably have the word "face" in) click the "materials" tab:
Now click the "new" button, this will create a new "material" on the list above!
Select that material by clicking it (if not highlighted already).
Now click the top button that says "<none>", browse to your face texture and press "open", after this press "assign"...
Now deselect the face for "safety".

Now repeat the above for all textures relating to the .md3 and its groups (i.e head and pips etc etc).

To make the texture show (if it isnt showing already) rightclick on the 3d view you should now see:

Wireframe
Flat Shaded
Smooth Shaded
Textured
-------------

At the top... - make sure "Textured" is the one that is ticked by clicking on it!

MANIPULATING

Now you have the texture sorted out so you can see what you are dealing with Wink

Now - select the vertex's (the dots not lines) at the very bottom of the neck:

Yo do this by selecting "select" under the "model" tab, and "vertex" under the "tool options" section of the "model" tab.

Now select the bottom vertex's , i suggest using either of the top two quarters of the model view to do this...

After they are selected, keep the selected and click "move" under the "model" tab...

Now click on the selected vertex's and move them down so the neck is the desired length!

And play around even more, if you wish, to satisfaction Happy

EXPORTING

Go to "tools" then "quake III arena" and then click "generate control file"

Save it as the same name as the orginal .md3 like head.qc Happy

It should come up with stuff like this:
$mesh "head"
$skin "models/players/model/skin.tga"
$flags 0

Change it to reflect the actual texture's "address" for all of the textures.

Now save it!

Now you go to:
File
----
Export -> Quake 3 arena MD3

And save it under the same name as the .qc file and the same directory - remember both these need to be the same name as the orginal...

CHECKING IT OUT

Put the modified .md3 into the modified .pk3 and have fun!

I HOPE THIS HELPED!

Cool! LOL!

Out of darkness... ...Cometh Worf55
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:08 pm, 7th June 2002
I get to the part where you are adding the textures. I make the material, and click the top <none> button, select the texture, but then, nothing shows up on the models.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 3:58 pm, 8th June 2002
Try right clicking on the 3D Display and go through the menus till you find where it says textured, make sure it's ticked.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 5:20 pm, 8th June 2002
Yes, ive done that it just doesnt show up.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 4:52 pm, 9th June 2002
I can't get milkshape3d to download. Can someone provide an alternate link?

Deputy Security Officer up for hire...
-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
Trip:"That hadn't always been my experience."
-ENTERPRISE Episode 22: "Fallen Hero"
Worf55
Kai

Posted at 12:02 am, 10th June 2002
Simmo666 said:
I get to the part where you are adding the textures. I make the material, and click the top <none> button, select the texture, but then, nothing shows up on the models.

Oh sorry - you have to click "assign" to assign the texture to the model - my apoligies!

(original post now edited)

Out of darkness... ...Cometh Worf55
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 11:35 am, 11th June 2002
i once tried milkshape but the trial version ran out SadSadSadSad Muhahaha :-( :-( :-(

big shame
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chief Science Officer on the USS Serenity
FliX/mapper/flix_inc@hotmail.com

"man is only free under Equaly free men": M.Bakunin
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 6:09 pm, 11th June 2002
You should have installed it in the future, like the year 2040, not like I do that, it's breaking the system. Tum ti tum ti

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 2:05 pm, 14th June 2002
umm you lost me how?? just changing the date in windowz???

would the date changing be for ever or only when i install it?? after instalation back to normal 2002 time??
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chief Science Officer on the USS Serenity
FliX/mapper/flix_inc@hotmail.com

"man is only free under Equaly free men": M.Bakunin
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 3:21 pm, 14th June 2002
Yes, you would change the date back to normal after installation. I didn't know there were still programs out there that could be fooled by that. The program stores the installation date on the hard drive somewhere (registry or DLL or text file) and checks it every time you start to see if today is x number of days after installation. By installing in the future, it will take a long time to expire. Most demos that I have tried nowadays aren't fooled so easily.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:43 pm, 14th June 2002
I still cant get it to work! The textures still dont show up. Is there any other way to do this, assigning textures to a model without the need to use this? I have just edited those text files for others.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:48 pm, 14th June 2002
Oh I think I know what you mean, the textures don't show up INGAME? You have to make a skin file.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 10:26 pm, 14th June 2002
I have no idea, the textures dont go on the skin in the Milkshake either. So I edited the text files (.skin) and made a hazard team klingon but the head was too far back.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 3:03 pm, 16th June 2002
I have made a new hazard team member now. I'm not giving anything about it away, yet. But the head is on fine, and the textures look really good, for the little tiny bit I did. BTW, what programs do you use for skinning? I have made all of mine in paint. Really!

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002