EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Trying to replace single player characters

EFMods Forum Archive - Old Stuff
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 5:17 pm, 18th June 2002
I don't know if this falls under skinning, but it certainly doesn't fall under mapping. I am trying to get rid of the hazard uniforms in EF single player. I just don't like them. I have managed to change the body to regular uniforms, but I can't get the collars to change. I am using Laz Rojas hazreg and hazreg2 files. I take alexhead.jpg and try to make it mod the single player head, but it doesn't want to. I don't want to change my original pak0.pk3 because then I can't release the mod when it's done. Any ideas?

Captain of the USS Serenity
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 5:22 pm, 18th June 2002
create a backup of pak0.pk3, then try porting the object to a graphic editor, probably milkshape then editing it to what you need to change it to

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 5:25 pm, 18th June 2002
I don't need to change the mesh, just the texture.

carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 5:29 pm, 18th June 2002
well then try a texture editor or try posting this at
gaming.startrek.com/cgi-bin/WebX
or
www.ritualistic.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=11

they might be able to help you, or email Worf55 to come tell you how to fix it

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 5:43 pm, 18th June 2002
I found a way to fix it. It's a lot of work, but the results will be very good. I have to make completely separate heads. Should be done in a few hours. As usual I'll post it on my server and announce it in the EFMods General forum.

Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:16 pm, 18th June 2002
Skinning is easy one you know how to do it. I'm sure mapping is the same, even though that is harder.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:54 pm, 18th June 2002
I wouldn't say mapping is harder than skinning, I made 1 skin, but I'm not a good skinner. Skinning really requires a skill at art (something I don't have) and imagination while mapping requires a skill of imagination, art doesn't really fit into it unless you're talking about the textures but most of the time the textures aren't made by the same person making the map. So really you need to be very skillful to make a skin, more skillful than making a map. Technically yes you are right in the way that there are more things that can go wrong with map making (not that there aren't alot of things that can go wrong with skin making) but thats not really what it's about.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.