EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Virtual Enterprise: Diashow-Room?

EFMods Forum Archive - Virtual Enterprise
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 12:39 am, 23rd June 2002
Hey, Dobberman!

I heard from your project "Virtual Enterprise", which take place on the 1701-D.

I'm a big fan of TNG and I got myself these DVD Collections. I took some time to capture some stills from the show.

These stills aren't ment to capture some "cool scenes". They are ment to capture the so-called "Life on the Enterprise". I take the shots from the view of a crew member, just having photography as a hobby. And so he gathers in his free time around the ship and takes photos from the crew and the ship (by a drone).

I have the Idea of the crew members room, which you can visit and switch on a slideshow of his private photos on a viewscreen (accessing his private database on the 1701-D).

I include some example shots here:

Originally I have the Idea of making a webside, representing the private photographic database of this crewman Lt. Cmdr. Salinga Wink.

But a room on the 1701-D itself would really make my idea complete! B-)

Well, what do you think about this at all?

Bye,
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 12:53 am, 23rd June 2002
Thanks Salinga, and welcome to the boards Happy

That's a great Idea. I think I will put it in, although, shader animations have a limit of 8 frames although I don't think this will be a problem if I use a differant method Wink. I will add this room to the mod. Happy Version 1 though, but that will not be in the first release sorry, as I don't have anywhere to put it in the first release, but I'd say that deck 2 or deck 12 would be a good place for it on the second release Happy
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:47 am, 23rd June 2002
You'd better put it on Deck 2. Deck 12 is entirely medical except for at the edge of the saucer.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 2:43 am, 23rd June 2002
Dobberman said:
That's a great Idea. I think I will put it in, although, shader animations have a limit of 8 frames although I don't think this will be a problem if I use a differant method Wink.

Thanks for your positive reaction! B-) I'm really looking forward to giving my little share to your project!

Maybe it will be easier and "cleaner" to include the shots under a LCARS menu system like used in the XP Voyager tour for the bridge database access. And the access for the player is happening by "using" a laptop terminal placed somewhere in the quarters.

EDIT: But after rethinking, the player in the game would have more fun operating a viewscreen than just a boring LCARS. Just think of it: You go into the room, command the computer to lower the lights (possible?) and start the show.
Manhunter
Commander

Posted at 3:51 am, 23rd June 2002
Welcome Salinga and very nice pics. Eek!

Chief of Security/Tactical on the USS Serenity

Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:58 am, 23rd June 2002
How do you take pics from an episode on your pc?

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 12:38 pm, 23rd June 2002
Simmo666 said:

By using a Software DVD Player like WinDVD, which can capture Bitmaps. After that I have to alter them a little (Ratio, Gamma+Contrast+Brightness, Sharpness and Size) and save them as JPG.

You could say: Why only that little? Because TNG is edited on video originally the pictures on the original DVD resolution actually are very soft. Even reduced in the size by 50% the pictures don't loose any information - in fact appear much sharper as they where at the original size. And since your "brain" thinks, the pictures would appear sharper on a bigger size, it enhances the seen information by phantasy. In fact they would only appear bigger and very unsharp.
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 2:29 pm, 23rd June 2002
Nice Pics! It will be a cool addition to the mod! Grin

Deputy Security Officer up for hire...
-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
Trip:"That hadn't always been my experience."
-ENTERPRISE Episode 22: "Fallen Hero"
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:31 pm, 23rd June 2002
Yes, they edited on VHS, but everything was shot on film. I would think they would go back to the film when making the DVDs.

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 2:52 pm, 23rd June 2002
Well, I'm putting a holodeck on Deck 12 so Na na!

Version 3 will be more down to specs Wink It's just if I put them on their proper decks, there'd be nothing else on those decks except that, boring!

And I'm sure I can get your room in somewhere Happy Just what will it be like? I mean, like a room with a screen with the show on it with seats? Or maybe in someones quarters?
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 2:58 pm, 23rd June 2002
Scooter said:
Yes, they edited on VHS, but everything was shot on film. I would think they would go back to the film when making the DVDs.

No, they didn't as it seems. The european DVDs are in fact only a conversion of the NTSC material (60 frames -> 50 frames).

I give you an example of the quality of an original sized picture:

Lt. Cmdr. Salinga
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 9:50 pm, 28th July 2002
Hi there!

Series 3 of TNG is out now on DVD - and here now some samples of the new Shots for the 1701-D diashow! B-)

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:19 pm, 28th July 2002
Hey those are some cool pics.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 11:50 pm, 28th July 2002
yes, those are good pics, especially the transporter room pic

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 11:52 pm, 28th July 2002
How do you get such good quality pictures taken from a DVD? Because those are absolutely brilliant quality.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 11:54 pm, 28th July 2002
you would have to get a CD player and a DVD player, wouldn't you?

Captain of...
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 12:00 am, 29th July 2002
Lt. Cmdr. Salinga said:
Simmo666 said:

By using a Software DVD Player like WinDVD, which can capture Bitmaps. After that I have to alter them a little (Ratio, Gamma+Contrast+Brightness, Sharpness and Size) and save them as JPG.

You could say: Why only that little? Because TNG is edited on video originally the pictures on the original DVD resolution actually are very soft. Even reduced in the size by 50% the pictures don't loose any information - in fact appear much sharper as they where at the original size. And since your "brain" thinks, the pictures would appear sharper on a bigger size, it enhances the seen information by phantasy. In fact they would only appear bigger and very unsharp.

Reading back over the old posts, I've just found the answer. Thanks anyway for attempting to help Carlos. Wink

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
SMASH
Cadet 1st Year

Posted at 9:00 pm, 13th August 2002
Nice Idea Smile
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:04 pm, 13th August 2002
Welcome SMASH. Thanks for posting Happy

Just a small note, don't post in old topics. Thanks
Manhunter
Commander

Posted at 9:49 pm, 13th August 2002
Welcome SMASH and try to put more things in your post Grin

Chief of Security/Tactical on the USS Serenity

carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 10:05 pm, 13th August 2002
welcome to the Forums, Smash

Captain of...
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 6:10 pm, 14th August 2002
Welcome to the Forums, but still i have the thought that your LukeSkywaler55

Navigator - USS Serenity

carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 6:12 pm, 14th August 2002
hes not Luke_Skywalker55, hes someone who comes to the EFmods channel, because he found out about VE (or something) or hes just someone from holland I think

Captain of...
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 8:20 pm, 14th August 2002
Yes, Smash lives in the Netherlands. Last time on IRC I was talking Dutch to Smash and Irish to Dobberman. T'was good fun.

Grass69er
Ensign

Posted at 2:49 am, 22nd August 2002
carlos_technology said:
welcome to the Forums, Smash

Yea welcome, Happy

Fleet Admiral and currently in
Command of the USS Enterprise F

"JC, Mind if I call you JC?"
-UNATCO TROOPER
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 6:23 pm, 22nd August 2002
Scooter said:
T'was good fun.

Hey Vanhal. Our Irish influence is rubbing off LOL!