EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Modding with the GDK

EFMods Forum Archive - Mapping Help
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 4:49 pm, 24th March 2002
Do you Map with the GDK for elite Force if so could you please do a begginers guide to how to use it (if you have time) becuse I carnt make heads or tails out off it thanks
Get a Life Get Half Life2
allendude
Ensign

Posted at 5:42 pm, 24th March 2002
At one point I started one, but never got around to finishing it. You can try Kevin Uk's mapping tutorial, but it's aimed for people who know how EFRad works.

Sorry I can't be of more help
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:17 pm, 24th March 2002
Yeah I do use the GDK. I mainly only use EFRadient and behavED though. I don't have the time sorry, but Tick'N'Swisted just released one with all the getting started info. I'll just look up the address....

....ah here it is *blows some of the dust off after it's been buried in the Raven UBB* http://home.stny.rr.com/ticknswisted/

Hope that helps you! Happy
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 3:17 pm, 25th March 2002
Thanks but now I think I will leave it up to you people who no what you are doing
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:37 pm, 27th March 2002
oh don't be like that, mapping isn't that hard, you should try it, you never know, you could be great!
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 6:54 pm, 30th March 2002
yeah i will have a proper look when I am not working Im tired at the moment got a couple of days off soon so i will have a look then Hehehe!
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 2:31 pm, 31st March 2002
Happy Looking forward to see some maps from you in the future Wink.

Not just in EF, but in EF2 aswell Grin
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 3:54 pm, 7th April 2002
Now that I have had 2 days rest I am now going to look at the tutorials For Moding EF. Hope I can do it Happy
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 5:00 pm, 7th April 2002
Cool! Grin
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 12:49 pm, 9th April 2002
Is it something I have done because I can not seem to get the tutorials on all it says every time i go into them is:

Windows can not find:

"C:\Documents and setting\gaz\localsettings\Temp\TemporaryDirectory1fortutorial3.zip\EFRadiantTutorial3.html"

I can get the EFRadiant on its just the tutorial please can some one help

Thanks
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 3:39 pm, 11th April 2002
I tried using EFRadiant once, twice, I think. I could get square rooms, but with dumb textures, most you cant see in the menu, and then I cant compile it to a bsp file. Could someone help me?

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 2:44 pm, 14th April 2002
Hmm, can you tell me exactly what the problem with the tutorials is?

And Simmo, make sure that your preferances are correct, go to Project Settings and look at the paths make sure they are pointing to the right place.
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 12:29 pm, 17th April 2002
on the tutorials I get the wrighting but not the pictures its just a white square with a red cross I have updated my pc to windows XP and now have all the latest drivers for graphics card (etc)
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 5:57 pm, 17th April 2002
Looks like the pictures just can't be found, if they came with the tutorials then make sure they are in the right place, if not then they were probably online but not anymore.
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 6:22 pm, 17th April 2002
I will ask my Brother to come over and have a look at it when he can but for now i am resting because on Satday I had an Epilepsy fit whch I am not none for so I am resting from the computer for a few more days
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 6:58 pm, 17th April 2002
OMG! Sorry to hear about that. I hope you are well!
Skipper
Commander

Posted at 7:16 pm, 17th April 2002
Yeah im alright thanks now just resting but it was hell off a shock because 1 minute i was at work and the next minute wakeing up in Hospital. but its good being back on the intrnet again it seems ages since i was in the forums last.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:23 pm, 17th April 2002
I'm glad you're ok! Welcome back!
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 5:41 pm, 18th April 2002
Glad to see you're ok.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 12:56 am, 11th May 2002
The Error Sad
Ya i got that error but have no clue what it means YEAH!
I went to the "http://www.kevinuk.co.uk" and went through the steps, but when i got to the "Compile" part I got this error YEAH! Sad
Please Help YEAH!

Navigator - USS Serenity

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 12:04 pm, 11th May 2002
First of all, there can be 2 causes for this problem, the most likely is that you have installed the GDK2 which I have never gotton the compiler to work in. So what you need to do is go to the tools folder and copy the .def files (they are called sp_entities.def and hm_entities.def, one may have a .txt or a .bak extention but it will have .def in it anyway) and backup these files somewhere else (i.e. put them in a folder were they can be safe.) Then download the GDK version 1 (you can get it here). When that is done, go to the tools folder again, and delete the def files there. Then put the ones you backup up in there and now you have a bug free radient with all the advantages of GDK2. Hope this wasn't too complicated and I hope it helps. But if it doesn't then....

.... There is more work to do Sad. You have the GDK installed into the Tools folder in the Star Trek Voyager Elite Force folder (which is correct) but efradient's settings are wrong, it's looking for the map in a folder at this location, "c:\program files\raven\baseef\maps" when it should be looking in "c:\program files\raven\star trek voyager elite force\baseef\maps\". So, go to Files then Project Settings. Then make sure that in each text box, after "\raven\" that you have "startr~1" in there. Then after that you should have the baseef folder and the maps folder which should be there already. Now under that is a list of the compiling options that is in the BSP menu. Select each one and click on edit (or change whatever the button says) and make sure that in each case where \raven\ is that you put the folder startr~1 after it. Now it's done, the compile should work now. If it doesn't then restart EFRadient and try again (in case the changes didn't take effect yet). If it still doesn't work then try the repair option in the GDK installer. I hope this helps and it wasn't too boring Hehehe!

Tell how it goes!
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 5:33 pm, 11th May 2002
I've gotten a lot farther... but there is one error i don't know where to change it.

Quote:
************* Error **************
Error opening C:\progra~1\startr~1\baseef/maps/ctf_testbox.bsp: No such file or directory

I see the problem but don't know how to fix it. It says "1\baseef/maps/ctf" and the "\" go to "/" during the file name. Where do i change this so that they are all "\"
ty for the help

Navigator - USS Serenity

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 5:36 pm, 11th May 2002
that's not the problem, the problem is it should be

C:\progra~1\startr~1\raven\baseef/maps/ctf_testbox.bsp

and not

C:\progra~1\startr~1\baseef/maps/ctf_testbox.bsp

Wink Probably in the project settings, you must have deleted the raven by accident
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 6:34 pm, 11th May 2002
You may be right there but still try figuring this one out! Grin
Click Here
Don't you just like Neopets? I just use it for the webspace! LOL! LOL!

Navigator - USS Serenity

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:22 pm, 11th May 2002
Well, i'd say there is just a leak in that map, but the compiling should finish. Leave it go and it should go through a series of numbers until it finishes Wink
Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 11:40 pm, 16th June 2002
Back to this topic. LOL! Sad When Compiling, the Ms-prompt part flys in a second and thats it but i saw this after in the bottom bar in efradiant and it said this:

Quote:
************ ERROR ************

SetQdirFromPath: no 'quake' in c:\progra~1\raven\startr~1\baseef/maps/ctf_box.map

(use -qdir X to change)

completed.
Run time was 0 hours, 0 minutes and 1 seconds

GOT IT NEVER MIND!

There is a possiblility i just might do the 10to5. but exams are first, maybe this friday.

Navigator - USS Serenity