EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Genetic engineering

EFMods Forum Archive - Off Topic
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 7:16 pm, 4th August 2002
Okay this is gonna be about genetic engineering, cloning and the sort. I want to hear your opinions about the whole thing.

I am all for it in certain areas, for example you could make cows that give twice as much milk as they do now and things like that. I however think testing or experiments of any kind should not be done on people.

And give this some though because this is real stuff it's not just in movies, it's being done in laboritories across the globe as we speak. In fact right now i am in chicago for my grandfathers funeral, and while I am here we went to the science museum here and the scientists in chicago had given the genome of jellyfishes eyes to frogs and they could see in almost complete darkness.
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:06 pm, 4th August 2002
It's also useful for regenerating or in fact just growing new organs to replace damaged ones, so transplants won't be a problem thanks to stem cell research, but the fact that these stem cells can only be found in human sex cells.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 8:27 pm, 4th August 2002
I'm all for growing organs because if I ever need a transplant, I'd prefer to have a new organ grown just for me rather than somebody else's because if you get somebody else's you have to take medication for the rest of your life otherwise your body will reject the replacement and you will die. If they grow a new one, your body thinks it's just like the old one and you don't need medication.

As for modifications, I'm not sure. Giving frogs eyes from jellyfish is a bit strange. Could end up that they decide to improve the human genome like that. Sure, I'd like to see in the dark too, but that's a bit strange. I'd rather they improve stuff like getting rid of vulnerabilities to diseases and stuff like that.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:45 pm, 4th August 2002
Yeah, they made a rat that had a human ear on its back, I saw it and its freaky!
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 9:51 pm, 4th August 2002
I can partially see in the dark

I can see really good in the dark at the cost of not being able to see very far

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:09 pm, 4th August 2002
That's not a result of genetic engineering, which means it has nothing to do with the topic, which means you are spamming.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 12:30 am, 5th August 2002
yes, dobberman I have been doing some research into this subject and that rat-ear you are talking about was made to be replaced with a faulty ear on a person, freaky! just think of the possibilities, for example I just got back from the gym and my endorphans are making me feel really good, imagine if this was engineerined to happen all the time. Depression on the PLANET would be snuffed out like a candle.
Damn, lost 400 posts...