Join Date: 20-06-2002
|Posted at 7:07 pm, 24th August 2002|
This will be a basic game (there are more variations than I care to count), so I will just be outlinine the various roles and rules.
1) The Town: The Town consists of several players, some of which are mafia, some of which are normal townspeople, and one of whom is the law in the town.
2) The Day: During the day, people will discuss items as usual. This can be specific discussion within the thread, or idle wanderings around other threads. Eventually a doubt will creep up, and the evening will fall.
3) The Evening/The Vote: All living members of the town (oh yes, people will end up dead...) will hold a vote as to whom they think is a member of the Mafia. That person is lynched, strung up, and left dangling. The moderator (myself) will then announce what role that person was, letting the town know if they've killed a mafia, one of their own, or the undercover cop. I will put a deadline on all votes after they are announced, probably of about 24 hours. Lynching will happen at the end of that 24 hours if all votes have not been cast at that point. If the vote is tied (either by all people voting, or a tie at the end of the deadline), the town goes to bed without its bloodlust quenched.
4) The Night/The Murder: At night, the Mafia will confer, decide one person to bump off, and in the morning, that person will lie dead in the town square. The cop can also present one secret guess to who is and is not mafia. This allows them only to determine the guilt or innocence of one person a day, and he can only hope to sway the lynching vote, as revealing himself too soon will cause the Mafia to come after him.
5) The Roles:
a) The Mafia: The crime family in the town. They know they are in the mafia, and they know everyone else who is in the Mafia. Each night, they conduct a private vote of whom they want dead, e-mail that vote to the moderator, and it happens. The Mafia win if all the townies and the cop have been wiped out, and at least one Mafioso is left alive.
b) The Townies: Lamb, sheep... They know only their own innocence, and may end up having to defend that innocence without any backing of evidence. Baa. The town wins when all the Mafia have been lynched.
c) The undercover cop: Allowed one guess as to whom is in the mafia every night. Can only safely use this information to subtly sway voting. Prime target for a mafia hit, so must remain incognito. The only safe time to reveal yourself as the cop is when they know the one remaining mafioso. Wins if the town wins.
6) The Strategy: Don't make yourself a target. Don't act too suspicious in any of the three directions. If you seem to know too much as a townie, you're potentially a mafia hit that night. If you act too organized as the mafia, you will be prime for a lynching. It is, in fact, an established strategy for one member of the Family to vote against another to allay suspicion. Just be careful about that vote being the lynch vote.
7) The Death: If you are dead, you are dead. You can post a dying message, but cannot divulge any information after dead, and are on honor not to attempt to secretly sway votes. You're dead, you're out. Yes, someone will have to die in the first night or two, and it might seem random chance, but that's the game.
The Specifics: I'd hope to play this game CLOSE to real time. The Day will run from the discovery of a fresh corpse until discussion turns to fingerpointing. The Evening will occur from my announcement of a vote until one player has an overwhelming majority. The Night will occur from my annoucement of a lynching party until I have all the mafia and police input. Hopefully, the day will occur during the forum day, when people are around, and the night can occur with just some quick emails back and forth (it will be up to the Mafia members to decide how best to conduct their poll of who the next target will be). Also, if we keep close to realtime, it will match my foruming habits.
I'm hoping to host a scaled down game (I've seen this run with over 30 members, two crime families, and 4-5 special roles). For this intro, there will be 12 players. 3 will be the Mafia family. 1 will be the Cop. 8 will be innocent townies. These roles will be assigned randomly, and sent via email.
Day one will happen with no lynchings, so will just be timed to end at X o'clock. The mafia can then make their first choice of victim night one, and the hysteria really begins Day Two.
If you're sure you want to play, reply with an address I can reach you at online. If you are unclear on the rules, please ask.
This thread is only for those who wish to sign up. If you would like to ask questions or discuss the ideas, please visit the third thread above. If you cannot or do not wish to play, you need not make a post to that effect, in fact, please don't, just so this thread doesn't get cluttered. Don't worry, if I don't see your name here, I won't draft you into the game.
If you would like to play, please post once saying so and providing me an email address (if you do not provide me an email address, I will use the one from your profile, and I know that not everyone checks their profile email on a regular basis). This email address will be used to send you your role, and for any in game correspondence with me, or with other players if your role includes being a member of a group.
This game will hopefully have a larger number of players than the George game, which will probably lead to more days, and longer days. Do with that information as you wish. Evidence from the last game is that there will be players available to act as replacements if needed.
That being said, the signups will now commence. No deadline for signups is set as of now, nor will I set a player limit (I'm hoping for around 20, but can expand the game to play with more).
Cheif Science Officeron the U.S.S Columbia
Like my sig?HHHHEEEEEEHHHHEEEEEE?