EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Some turbolift troubles of my own

EFMods Forum Archive - Mapping Help
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:22 pm, 6th September 2002
I'm going by the Turbolift 101 tutorial. Ok, here's what I did. I opened up the map file for deck 1 in efRadient. I copy-pasted the target_level_change for deck 11 and changed mapname to tour/deck15 and changed targetname to tour_turbo_15. In my turbolift.dat file I have a line like this:
DECK15 "Ventral Maintenance" "" "use tour_turbo_15" "sound/voice/computer/tour/deck15.mp3"

I compiled the map using FullVis, properly packaged it into a PK3 file, but in Virtual Voyager I click the button for Deck 15 in the turbolift on Deck 1, click Engage, and nothing happens (other than the turbolift menu going away).

Please only people who know about mapping reply to this. I don't want to see any replies from Carlos. (You don't know anything about mapping, so just keep your mouth shut.)

The goal I have in mind is to make a trigger for Deck 15 on every deck so that you don't have to use the transporter to get there.

Captain of the USS Serenity
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:26 pm, 6th September 2002
What did you call your pk3? It could be that the pak3.pk3 is overwriting it, so put a z in the beginning so ef reads it last and so it overwrites the pak3.pk3 (e.g. if you called it "mymod.pk3" change it to "zmymod.pk3")
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:26 pm, 6th September 2002
The file is called zzzdeck1.pk3

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:28 pm, 6th September 2002
hmm, thats odd then. You sure you included the turbolift.dat in the pk3 in the ext_data folder? You sure you named it right? Look out for little mistakes.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:29 pm, 6th September 2002
The turbolift.dat file is part of my turbolift mod, which I know works. When I made it, I planned ahead for this.

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:34 pm, 6th September 2002
did you put the deck1.bsp in the maps/tour/ folder?
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:36 pm, 6th September 2002
*smack*

I only put it in the tour folder. I'll try again.

Edit: put it in maps/tour, but still not working.

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:45 pm, 6th September 2002
Confusing, could you send me the pk3 and the map file? Only if you want, its up to you.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:46 pm, 6th September 2002
It's on its way.

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:55 pm, 6th September 2002
Got them, where's the ext_data folder?
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:56 pm, 6th September 2002
You need my turbolift mod installed. It's on effiles if you don't have it anymore.

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:57 pm, 6th September 2002
oh right I get yah
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 12:00 am, 7th September 2002
ok your map file caused an error!
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 12:01 am, 7th September 2002
Well, it's good to know that something is wrong. That means there's potential to fix it.

Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:53 am, 9th September 2002
Argh. I spent all afternoon and a good chunk of the evening adding triggers and compiling, and it still doesn't work.

I made a new spawn point on deck 15 in the turbolift, made a trigger_scriptrunner for it, and hooked that up to it as well as the objectivecheck trigger. Even when I load the map for deck 15 it still goes to the transporter spawn point instead of the turbolift one.

Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 4:02 pm, 9th September 2002
do you need to use the transporter in the same scene? cuase if you don't shouldn't you be able to just save the same map as a different filename (so theres two of the same map) and just take the transporter spawnpoint out of one of them.

I dunno I don't know how to map but the above made sense to me.
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 10:06 pm, 9th September 2002
This is for the upcoming version 2 of my turbolift mod. I can't take the transporter spawn point out because then the transporter wouldn't work. I really don't want two deck 15's either.

Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 3:23 pm, 10th September 2002
Scooter said:
This is for the upcoming version 2 of my turbolift mod. I can't take the transporter spawn point out because then the transporter wouldn't work. I really don't want two deck 15's either.

Well we know it is possible anyway. You can beam onto different decks in the transporter (bridge, mess hall, cargo bay etc), so try looking at them.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 7:27 pm, 10th September 2002
the problem when you use the transporter for intraship beaming in EF is that the transporter effect doesn't show when you transport to the selected deck, it only shows when the transporter sequence begins.
is it possible for someone to fix that?

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:29 pm, 10th September 2002
carlos_technology said:
the problem when you use the transporter for intraship beaming in EF is that the transporter effect doesn't show when you transport to the selected deck, it only shows when the transporter sequence begins.
is it possible for someone to fix that?

Yeah, theres the sound when you arrive but no image. Is it possible? Well, yes, obviously, someone can do it Grin

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that