EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Locked9/11/02 - A Year Later

EFMods Forum Archive - Off Topic
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 8:19 pm, 11th September 2002
I would like to make a dedication to the innocent lives that were lost one year go today here in the U.S.

[img]

I would also like to thank Dobberman for his rememberance of this day on the front of the site. This was a day that changed lives all over my country and even the world. This a day of remeberance.[/img]

Deputy Security Officer up for hire...
-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
Trip:"That hadn't always been my experience."
-ENTERPRISE Episode 22: "Fallen Hero"
gta_king
Cadet 4th Year

Posted at 8:45 pm, 11th September 2002
Good idea.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 8:53 pm, 11th September 2002
May we never again witness an event like that of September 11th. My deepest condolences to those who lots friends, family and colleagues in the attacks.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:49 pm, 11th September 2002
It was the least I could do.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:00 pm, 11th September 2002
Dobberman posted something similar over at effiles too.

Captain of the USS Serenity
LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 11:03 pm, 11th September 2002
Well, thank you.

-----------------
T'pol: "It's my understanding that your mating ritual is effective in easing tension."
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 11:31 pm, 11th September 2002
Yes, let's remember those 3000 people who died. May they rest in peace.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 11:33 am, 13th September 2002
okay, i just wanna say a couple of things on this topic...

most of you will probably then hate me but im just saying what i think..

i think that everybody is making a big fuss about this, only because the US has gotten its first real smack in face on own soil every one is all well strange/angry/sad/ect..

i think, that if something like that would have happend in europe or any where elso on the world, most americans would have never know about it... because they couldnt care less about the rest of the world..
thats why they (the goverment) wants to go to iraq its far away for them, but for us europeans its nearly next door... and we would have to cope with the problems after the us goes back onto theyr "island"
similar to what is now happening in the balkan, the us is backing out, and leaving the EU to do the rest of the dirty work (buildup, and keep the balkan away from terreo.

the US only does thing in theyr interest... they donot think of others before themselves...

only cause the US is SO big, it thinks its THE world power, who can dicide the fate of the whole world!!!

anyway they say iraq is building big bombs and dangerrous weapons, well so does the US they make even more of the crap than any other country in the world...

okay im not saying all (US) americans are "bad" but alot of em are... (bush, and goverment just to say an xample)
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chief Science Officer on the USS Serenity
FliX/mapper/flix_inc@hotmail.com

"man is only free under Equaly free men": M.Bakunin
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 1:55 pm, 13th September 2002
I feel the same way on many points. I was tired of hearing about 9/11 when it happened, and I'm tired of hearing about it now. Sure, it's really sad, but don't dwell in the past. After it happened, everybody suddenly became super-patriotic and most North Americans were talking and writing about how Bin Laden should die. I don't disagree with that, but give it a rest already. Now that Bush can't find Bin Laden, he needs somebody to kill, so he's going after Saddam Huisen. Here in Canada, Bush takes over our television and radio stations. There will be nothing else on except him giving a speech. For crying out loud. I am Canadian! President Bush is NOT our leader. He is the annoying next-door neighbor.

Yes, I think the US is self-centered. They call themselves Americans. Is Canada not part of North America? Technically everyone from Canada to Chile is American. Yes, the US thinks they control the world, just because UN headquarters is in the US. I am proud of Canada's prime minister. When Bush went out looking for henchmen to attack Iraq, Chretien said go talk to the UN if you want world support. That's their department. Chretien is washed up, but he still does some things right.

I don't mean to offend anyone who feels strongly about 9/11, but please don't make it into a bigger deal than it already is. Let bygones be bygones and focus on the future. For the past year, American patriotism has been on overdrive, and it makes me sick.

Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 2:35 pm, 13th September 2002
I am an "American" but, I have to agree. Bush, (and the rest of the U.S.) have sort of played the "terrorist card" to the last straw. And so they could try to "justify" everything they're doing.

I also agree with Flix, if something like his happened in Europe most "Americans" would probably not know about it.

I totally disagree with Bush's methods. First of all, shooting cruise missles at Afganistan was a really bad idea. Second; asking other countries for help was selfish. Third; We all know he only made threats toward attacking Iraq because his father failed to capture Husien. Its something like famly honor. But, even that still doesn't justify it.

-My two cents
Damn, lost 400 posts...
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 7:36 pm, 13th September 2002
maybe bin laden is stupid enough to fall for a trap

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 7:40 pm, 13th September 2002
I dont think so.

American Soldier: Bin Laden, there's a pie out here for you.

Bin: Mmm, pie! *Comes running out*

American Soldier: Gotcha.

Bin: Doh!

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 10:41 pm, 13th September 2002
Well, I have to agree that the whole 9-11 thing is a bit played out, but I disagree with a lot of Simmo's and Scooter's comments. Remember, we've won all wars that we've fought in (except Vietnam), and none of those wars except for the earliest have been fought on U.S. soil. So you have to expect that we've unintentionaly gotten a little assured of ourselves. That's why this sudden carnage and loss of 3,000 innocent people kind of leaves an impact.

America is very diverse, you look at England, and you see English, you look at India, and you see Indians, you look at Africa, and you see Africans. You look at America, and you see all of those mixed together. With all of these different people, you can't expect all to think alike. That's why we have so much trouble making a decision over here. As for putting ourselves before the rest of the world, I have to truthfully admit that we do look out for ourselves a little more than we should, but you also have to see that whenever someone in the world needs help, it America that's there for them.

You want examples? Ok. At the end of WWII, when Germany, Japan, Italy, and Britain were in ruins, it was America that gave BILLIONS of dollars to them. Nothing has been paid back, and we're fine with that.

When France was going to collapse in '56, it was Amerca that gave them a hand. Today France is still there, they just hate us now (ungrateful #$%&'s).

Whenever there's a natural disater in another country, we go there and help. No one helps us when there's an earthquake or tornado.

For the rest of my examples, I'm going to quote a Canadian newspaper article I found:
"The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped
billions of dollars into discouraged countries.
Now newspapers in those countries are writing
about the decadent, warmongering Americans. I'd
like to see just one of those countries that is
gloating over the erosion of the United States
dollar build its own airplane.

Does any other country in the world have a plane
to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed
Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't
they fly them? Why do all the International lines
except Russia fly American Planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider
putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk
about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios.
You talk about German technocracy, and you get
automobiles.

You talk about American technocracy, and you find
men on the moon - not once, but several times -
and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put
theirs right in the store window for everybody to
look at.

Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and
hounded. They are here on our streets, and most
of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws,
are getting American dollars from ma and pa at
home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India
were breaking down through age, it was the
Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania
Railroad and the New York Central went broke,
nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still
broke.

I can name you 5000 times when the Americans
raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can
you name me even one time when someone else raced
to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there
was outside help even during the San Francisco
earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
kicked around. They will come out of this thing
with their flag high. And when they do, they are
entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that
are gloating over their present troubles. I hope
Canada is not one of those."

Stand proud, America! Wear it proudly!!"

I agree with everything this article says, and I'm getting tired of people around the world beating us up for it. Really, when anything bad happens in the world, we're blamed for it. What is that shit?

Simmo, if anything like what happened here happened in another country, we WOULD know about it cause it would be US that went in to give them a hand with the rescue/recovery.

Iraq: I disagree with Bush's reasons for going there cause it is just his wish to end what his dad started, but really, you guys going to wait until he starts killing innocent people again to act? That would seem to cause a few more problems that you would have to "cope" with on your little island. Turning your back on the worlds problems doesn't make them go away.

One thing that the world hates about America is that we go anywhere to fix any problem, even in someone's "turf". They get mad at that. We are known as the world's "policeman". Well, maybe if the rest of the world would get off their lay asses and starts dealing with the problems in their own backyard rather than wait for us to fix it so they can benefit from our actions but condem them.

Hmm, just had a thought. Simmo, you condem us for putting ourselves first, yet we are always the ones putting the lives of OUR citizens on the line to help strangers while every other country sits back and watches. It would appear to me that it is the rest of the world that puts THEMSELVES first. Interesting.

As for Simmo's bomb analogy about both the U.S. and Iraq. There is a huge difference Simmo. Does America use the bombs it makes to murder innocent people in the quest for world domination? NO! What about Iraq? Why YES, YES IT DOES!

Well, that's enough of my raving. I don't hate the rest of the world, but I hate it when the rest of the world hates us for baseless reasons.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 11:13 am, 14th September 2002
Quote:
America is very diverse, you look at England, and you see English, you look at India, and you see Indians, you look at Africa, and you see Africans. You look at America, and you see all of those mixed together. With all of these different people, you can't expect all to think alike. That's why we have so much trouble making a decision over here. As for putting ourselves before the rest of the world, I have to truthfully admit that we do look out for ourselves a little more than we should, but you also have to see that whenever someone in the world needs help, it America that's there for them.

that is such a prejudice... in germany we have a shit load of turks and russians

and britain has a shed load of africanes and indians...

the only thing is, that US is much bigger!!! there fore there are more foreigners there (not seen in %!!!!!)

as for ruined europe after the war, well that just history. i am half german and i can say (like 80 million other germans) that i am not proud of my countries history...
most germans would do anything to make that part of history never happen!!!!

because since the WWII germans (in hollywood films) are allways ither some SS offiver or some guy in leather shorts...

but fact is we cant change history!!!

okay its anopther "american" remark
Quote:
Whenever there's a natural disater in another country, we go there and help. No one helps us when there's an earthquake or tornado.

so what the EU doesnt help african countries when there is a flood there!!

and who came to germany when there where the worst flood ever in east germany this year??? NOONE!! (not even the US!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

as for the newspaper artical you are quoting!!
its partly rubbish
ther is a the ESA (european space agency!!)
and well okay they dont wanna put anyone on the moon (yet) but they have acheaved a lot of other things (reasearch in space, ect..)
**anyway im one of those who think the moon landing was/is a hox but that is not part of the discussin right now***

Quote:
Iraq: I disagree with Bush's reasons for going there cause it is just his wish to end what his dad started, but really, you guys going to wait until he starts killing innocent people again to act? That would seem to cause a few more problems that you would have to "cope" with on your little island. Turning your back on the worlds problems doesn't make them go away.

well i disagree, its not like EU is ignoring it its just: most of the iraq weapons dont have enough "power" to go over the atlantic, the iraqis would just shoot at europe... US is farely safe on their "safe big island" over the pond!!!
and as i sayed before, the EU would (and will) be left to do the dirty work as they are now in the balkans!!!

Quote:
One thing that the world hates about America is that we go anywhere to fix any problem, even in someone's "turf". They get mad at that. We are known as the world's "policeman". Well, maybe if the rest of the world would get off their lay asses and starts dealing with the problems in their own backyard rather than wait for us to fix it so they can benefit from our actions but condem them.

thats just you americans!!!!
you only see what you are doing in the world!!!
the EU is dealing with international problems!!!
its just you americans DONT see us doing it cause you are far to into your own things... and you bost about what youve done!! the Europeans dont!!!, becasue they know the US couldnt care less

and an important issue is HOLLYWOOD!!!
most hollywood films are about some american doing Good in all the world.
you(and us europeans) dont see any films about the EU doing somehting good, because noone makes films about it!!!
I realy HATE hollywood patriotic films, like "the patriot" or "men of hounour" they are so crap!! with the same saing every time!!! the US wins every thing even in vietnam films the US allways looks like the winners!!!

Quote:
Hmm, just had a thought. Simmo, you condem us for putting ourselves first, yet we are always the ones putting the lives of OUR citizens on the line to help strangers while every other country sits back and watches. It would appear to me that it is the rest of the world that puts THEMSELVES first. Interesting.

the same ive sayed before!! you only see US army in the balkans or in afganistan!! but its NOT that way, there are loads of Britisch and french and even (for the first time since WWII) german soldiers in action!!

Quote:
As for Simmo's bomb analogy about both the U.S. and Iraq. There is a huge difference Simmo. Does America use the bombs it makes to murder innocent people in the quest for world domination? NO! What about Iraq? Why YES, YES IT DOES!

as far as i know the US sold/and sels weapons to the Israelis, who use them against the palistinians, (against the police, and schools, and every thing) only cause they say, there where terrorist in the school!!

i dont blame the palistinians for not liking (hating) the israelis!!!
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Anonymous
Posted at 12:02 pm, 14th September 2002
I don't normally post in discussions about this, but after things I've seen recently, I've changed my ideas.

The thing that really did it for me was on EFFiles in the remembrance news post somebody wrote "Someone Must Pay"....is it me or is that just the total wrong attitude to take, it's basically the attitude the terrorists have - "we disagree with you, so someone must pay"

Also that post
Quote:

Really struck me up, how blind are you? England has one of the most diverse populations in the world!

Also as for america always being there to help, if you think america helps a lot, look at the statistical facts, in 1992 the EU gave over $100 per capita in aid to other countries america gave between $50-100 per capita, so although you help, you don't help as much as you could.

Quote:

Yeah that is a serious problem, you can't just go running in sticking your nose where you want to, you think you're the worlds police men when in fact you're the words war men, if there isn't a war per se, america will take in the the troops and u can be sure there'll be a war then (I speak both metaphorically and factually).

Quote:

Whenever someone uses the words hmmm and interesting in the same paragraph it's because all of a sudden they've just had a thought that will make them sound right for once....only one floor, Europe helps people more than america, it's a statistical fact, so you're completely wrong.

Quote:

So.....america bombing SUSPECTED terrorist shelters and killing a few hundred innocents at the same time....and why? Well I think the film Swordfish explains that nicely, so america can continue with its way of life which as you make more and more clear is to stand for yourselfs and be the "police" of the world? I'd say that comes pretty close to a type of world domination - to police the world would mean America is the strongest force in the world, urgo the dominant force.

I remember a few years back, the world was "relatively" quiet and we all got along well, now look at it, pratically the entire world hates Bin Laden and is starting to...not hate but....dislike the American attitude as well. We all know that America suffered a great loss but is the way to solve it to make 3rd world countries suffer the same loss?

Also I do not dislike America, far from it, it is a "great" place, I just dislike the Americans who think they have the GOD given right to make decisions for the rest of the world - if god wanted war he would have put the apple in adams hand!

And to end on a quote that I am pointing at no-one, but expect everyone to think about is

"Do unto others as you would have done unto you."

I am not a religious man, but that is one quote everyone in this world could do with listening to a bit more.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:10 pm, 14th September 2002
I have to agree with FliX and our civilian friend over there.

Also, Canada I think has THE most diverse population in the world. Especially in the area I live which is called the Fraser Valley. We have people from UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Russia, Germany, China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Australia, the Netherlands, the Ukraine, Bulgaria, Hungary, Sudan, South Africa, New Zealand, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Mexico, Brazil, etc, etc, etc. I could go on and on forever listing almost every country in the world.

The US looks at Canada and see a passivist little country with a dork for a prime minister. Maybe he is a dork, but he's not as dumb as he looks. We're not passivist, we're peacekeepers. If the situation gets out of hand, we'll be there right beside our Australian, British, and French brothers (and Germans now too, welcome back boys!). Also, we're not a little country. We're the biggest country in the world! We just don't use much of the land because it's too cold up north.

Earlier this year, off the shores of Afghanistan, an American saw a ship in the distance and said, "What the heck is that?" He pulled out his binoculars and saw a Canadian flag flying on the mast. Back in North America, some high-up brass officer who was interviewed said,
Quote:
A warship? You mean like, for war? Does Canada know about this?

That just goes to show American ignorance.

I saw that post on effiles: "Someone must pay." And that IS the wrong attitude. A lot of Americans think that somebody has to die because of 9/11, and they can't find Bin Laden, so let's kill Saddam Huisen. They don't care the Bush wants to finish what his dad started, they just want bloodshed.

I hope this discussion doesn't last too much longer, because as I said before, I'm tired of it.

LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 6:56 pm, 14th September 2002
I meant this topic to be a solumn one to remember the victims of the 9/11 terror attacks, but i guess it didn't work out. I have a couple of things to say about some of the things posted in this topic

First, to all you mainland Eurpeans who are pissed off because Bush wants to knock off Sadam, heres what I have to say. Those of you who think we shouldn't get rid of Sadam are following the same thing you did in the 1930's. Your past generation let Hitler do his thing for almost a decade and all you did was turn the other cheek. Look what happened. Hitler almost took over the world. And to all you Brits who are pissed that the US keeps poking their nose in international affairs, just remember World War II. Had America not intervined and help you guys wipe out Hitler, there probably wouldn't be much of a Britian left today, and there would be no such thing as the free world. So all of you who are pissed that we make such a big deal out of 9/11, what if instead, the terrorists attacked Buckingham Palace or the Parliament Building in London? Or what if they attacked the Eifle Tower or the Notre Dame cathedral? Or what if they attacked Red Square in Russia? And all you Canadians, remember that a lot of these terrorists came in to North America by your leniant immigration policies. To sum up what I am saying, America is not a perfect country. We have our faults. But without us, the world would be a very different place. If you think that 9/11 wasn't a big deal, you need to reevaluate yourself and take a look in the mirror and show just a bit of human compasion.

-----------------
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 8:18 pm, 14th September 2002
How did I get dragged into this? What is this "Bomb Anology" that you said that I had wrote about? I said nothing about America poking its noses in or anything! When did I say that, eh?

And Trekker, the thing is, that they didn't attack Buckingham Palace or the Eiffel Tower or whatever, because America IS a bigger world power! It's a fact. It's bigger, it's better armed, stuff like that. But we have got to also have our own sense of pride for our country. And people believe different things. As you so brilliantly put about if there was no America, there'd be no Free World, you can't say that for sure can you? It is a Free Country! We all can have our personal views, because IT IS A FREE COUNTRY. That's what its for, to allow personal views. It does not harm any other people, our view does not make us go out and committ terrorism, because that is against a law.

And with Hitler, our anscenstors didn't let him do his thing. We stopped him and remind you that America was not immediately involved.

America gets involved first because it is big, and has the most resources at its disposal. Britain, in comarison, is absolutely tiny. Yet we still help as we can, we help out America because they are our friends. And our political views and such against terrorism. But we dont have as many resources.

That's what I think, if you can understand it.

And people, think about what you say next time, and Don't Put Words in My Mouth.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 8:30 pm, 14th September 2002
Well said Trekker. All of you brought up some good points, however, my main point still stands. I don't have an negative feeling towards any of your countries, even when they've done things that I haven't liked. For example, I like Canada. I've been telling my roomate that someday I would like to go up there and see what it's like.

As for America going over there to do what we feel needs to be done, you have to remember one thing. Back before WWII, we didn't go over and do as we pleased, we stayed on our side of the pond and watched as the countries over there dealt with it. Well, as we all know, it became neccesary to go over because we learned that if we didn't act, Hitler and Japan would come to us eventually, and we would be left with a bigger problem than before. For better or worse, I think that attitude was ingrained in us; that it was up to us to deal with problems.

America is not perfect, but we try our best to do the right thing. That's it. The rest of the world may see us as a giant war machine bent on taking over the world, but in reality, we're trying to do the right thing, for the most part. I say for the most part because our leaders are human, and humans make mistakes and have egos and desires. Sometimes we get a bad leader who makes bad decisions. But you can't hold that against us all.

My main point comes down to this. Like any other country, America is not perfect. We make mistakes. The thing I hate the most is how the world sees ONLY our mistakes and hates us, rather than seeing any of the good things that we do. I agree with all that you guys said about the mistakes America has made, however, you can't seem to see past them. And like Trekker said, without us, the world would be a lot different.

EDIT: Sorry Simmo, that was Flix who said that.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 9:14 pm, 14th September 2002
I agree Canada's immigration policies are too lenient. It urinates me off every day. We European immigrants are getting overrun by the Asian immigrants more and more all the time.

Can't remember if it was WWI or WWII, but the US got involved because the Nazis sunk a passenger ship headed for England. Don't go about boasting about Americans doing lots of good because Canada won a lot of battles too. It was Canada that liberated the Netherlands from the Nazis. We, like the UK, can't send as many troops to fight with the US because our armed forces is very small. We have no need for such a large army because the chances of us getting invaded is slim to none.

I think one of the problems with the US is that they expect every country to live by their standards. Sure, there's lots of disorder in the world, but that's because people in those countries aren't what we consider civilized.

LeprechaunTrekker
Commander

Posted at 1:24 am, 15th September 2002
I appologize to simmo if you took that the wrong way. What I said in my previous post wasn't just directed to the members of this board, but to everyone. I did not put words into your mouth. The statement was directed to the brits who think that america is to much of a "Big Brother" so to speak and sticks there nose in other people's business. And by the way, America became involved in WWII after Pearl Harbor was attacked.

What I said about the different landmarks was just to open your mind. The Eiffle Tower or Parliament doesn't have tens of thousands of people in them, like the Trade Centers did. They weren't just landmarks but work places. Many more people could have died, but 3,000 did. What that entire post was about was just to get into people that thought 9/11 wasn't that big of a deal in different countries realize that it was. If I offended anyone, I am sorry. We all have our rights to an opinion, eh?

-----------------
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 9:05 am, 15th September 2002
okay im gonna say one last thing on this topic.

the terrorist i dont thing would target Europe, because they have a grudge against the US for poking its nose in everywhere, especialy, the middle east (israel & pasistina).
they think that its the US fault that the Israleis have the weaponary to attack the palastinians, I think they have a point.
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:25 pm, 15th September 2002
Well I'm going to close this so that it can be left alone, after all what differance does it make in the end.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.