Commodore

Posted at 8:39 pm, 16th September 2002
Dobberman, whats your full name?

Captain of...
visit the Offical Irc channel #efmods on irc.quakenet.org
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:46 pm, 16th September 2002
Why do you want to know? What's YOUR full name?
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 8:47 pm, 16th September 2002
Carlos Technology

you said your third name is patrick

Captain of...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:51 pm, 16th September 2002
Don't you have a middle name? What religion are you? Weren't you baptised?
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 8:53 pm, 16th September 2002
the christian religion

I never got a middle name, or at least noone told me if I had one
if I decided to get a middle name it would be
Carlos Species 8472 Technology

Captain of...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:55 pm, 16th September 2002
Christianity is a group of religions Carlos. And you're middle name has to be the name of a Saint.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 8:56 pm, 16th September 2002
noone told me my middle name

Captain of...
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 9:31 pm, 16th September 2002
Dobberman said:
Christianity is a group of religions Carlos. And you're middle name has to be the name of a Saint.

Your middle name doesn't have to be the name of a saint! What ever!

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:34 pm, 16th September 2002
Well it does if you are catholic, but I don't think Species 8472 is a suitable one either What ever!
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 9:36 pm, 16th September 2002
Ahh, well since I'm not Catholic, that might explain it. Grin

Yes, Species 8472 would not be my first, or last choice for a middle name.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 10:34 pm, 16th September 2002
My middle name is Aaron, kinda funny because my initials are LAF. Grin
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:35 pm, 16th September 2002
Since we have 7 sacrements, we also get another middle name for Confirmation, so we have 4 names altogether.
carlos_technology
Commodore

Posted at 10:36 pm, 16th September 2002
Commander luke said:
My middle name is Aaron, kinda funny because my initials are LAF. Grin

yes that is funny

Captain of...
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 10:37 pm, 16th September 2002
Dobberman said:
Since we have 7 sacrements, we also get another middle name for Confirmation, so we have 4 names altogether.

The only thing I understood from that is that you have 4 names.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 3:09 am, 17th September 2002
You get another name from Confirmation? Is that a legal name change? We have something similar to confirmation in our church, but you don't get an extra name. They gave me a book on the history of our churches in North America.

I only have three names. My first name, my middle name, and my last name. My Dad has two middle names because he was named after three of his uncles. I'm not named after anyone.

Captain of the USS Serenity
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 4:14 am, 17th September 2002
My middle name is my dad's first name, and his middle name is his dad's first name.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 4:14 pm, 17th September 2002
sporto78 said:
My middle name is my dad's first name, and his middle name is his dad's first name.

My ancestors did that back in the Netherlands for a long time. Before Napolean came along, that was how you knew who was related to who. Cool!

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:13 pm, 17th September 2002
I don't know if its legal, but I don't think it goes on your birth certificate so its probably not. But at least we got to choose it ourselves Happy

EDIT -> You know this is soo off topic it's not even funny. I'm splitting it!
gta_king
Cadet 4th Year

Posted at 9:00 pm, 17th September 2002
Just for the record my full name is James Christopher Moorehead. I am Church of England but i am not religious.
FliX
Lt. Commander

Posted at 7:44 am, 18th September 2002
just for the record Na na! my full name is Christopher Alain Jones or CAJ
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Chief Science Officer on the USS Serenity
FliX/mapper/flix_inc@hotmail.com

"man is only free under Equaly free men": M.Bakunin
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:05 pm, 18th September 2002
Well you can call me DJ POB Na na!

Daniel James Patrick O'Brien
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 10:29 pm, 18th September 2002
Maybe I'll just call you Homie G. Na na!

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:44 pm, 19th September 2002
Homie G? Where'd that come out of?
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 9:00 pm, 19th September 2002
Well, all this talk about CAJ and DJ POB, I suddenly (and strangely) felt the need to add on to that.

Remember, just because I wrote something doesn't mean it makes any sense. Grin

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 10:43 pm, 19th September 2002
Sure thing Nathan. Wink

sporto78
Captain

Posted at 1:12 am, 20th September 2002
Did you actually rememeber that or did you just make it up?

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:02 am, 20th September 2002
I remembered it of course.

Before Carlos asks, Sporto's name isn't Nathan.

Virtual_Game_Dude
Commander

Posted at 2:16 am, 20th September 2002
How does this have to do with religon?
Someones middle name is VERY religous, dont you think?
Im non-denomenational.
I belive in the bible.
And for all you Catholics, you should check your history.
A while ago, Catholics ACTUALLY sold tickets to sin.
And WHERE in Dobbermans real name does it say anything about original sin?
It seems that EFMODS is full of christians.
Wierd.

Cheif Science Officeron the U.S.S Columbia

Like my sig?HHHHEEEEEEHHHHEEEEEE?
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:33 am, 20th September 2002
I know this topic has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with middle names, but it was split from a topic about religion.

Several centuries ago, the Roman Catholic church sold indulgences, which supposedly would secure their place in heaven, and they would be able to bypass purgatory. You could by them for yourself, your living relatives, or your dead relatives. It was rubbish because the money was used by the clergy for extravagant living. There's no such place as purgatory, and you can't buy your way into heaven. The practice was eventually outlawed. Is this what you are referring to by tickets to sin?

I wouldn't say efmods is full of Christians. I don't think there are that many of us here. There are a few protestants and catholics, and a few people who don't go very often or haven't been in a while. The term Christian has become used quite loosely and broadly. (And just to cause trouble, being non-denominational IS your denomination.)

Virtual_Game_Dude
Commander

Posted at 4:32 am, 20th September 2002
Scooter, ARG.
Why am I starting a debate?
OH well......

Thanks scooter, now this topic will be 10 pages long.

Ok, I belive in the bible.
Nothing added, nothing.
We base our church on the first church in Acts.
And for all you Roman Catholics, I dought your priests go to heaven, bah, I dought almost all priests that are paid to do it wont go to heaven.
Most priests arent REALY part of that religon.
THey dont go by it.
Anyway, usaly the person giving the sermon just chants a bunch of stuff that you dont even understand! LOL.
FOR ALL YOU KNOW, HE COULD BE SAYING:
Yay! The lord is dead! Joy to the world!

Na na!

Cheif Science Officeron the U.S.S Columbia

Like my sig?HHHHEEEEEEHHHHEEEEEE?
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 6:03 am, 20th September 2002
Well, I'm going to stay out of this one, but first I'm going to share with everyone a realization that I've had. Here at efmods, we had many heated arguments, most I myself took part of. After all was said and done, you know what I learned? These arguments are pointless, we're not going to change each other's opinions.

So the point: we're all entitled to our own opinions, just keep them to yourselves.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:19 pm, 20th September 2002
I'm just trying to educate here.

Skywalker: have you even been to a catholic church? If not, you don't really know what happens there. Don't spout off about things you know nothing about.

You believe in the Bible, well that's a start. A lot of people don't believe in it.
You add nothing, congratulations, neither do most other denominations.
You base your church on that of Acts? Hardly.

I don't know how strongly Dobberman feels about his religion, but it's not very nice you badmouthing Catholics like that.

Maybe this topic should be locked. I don't think there will be much more discussion on middle names, and like Sporto said religious discussions accomplish nothing here. If someone is struggling with something in their religion, I don't mind trying to help, but attacking each other's religions is pointless.

Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 3:53 pm, 20th September 2002
Scooter, you want almost every topic you see locked What ever!

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 4:28 pm, 20th September 2002
Nah, just the ones where Skywalker has posted. Na na!

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 6:42 pm, 20th September 2002
Scooter said:
Several centuries ago, the Roman Catholic church sold indulgences, which supposedly would secure their place in heaven

Obviously you weren't paying much attention to the chapter from the book you read that from, when that happened, there was no such thing as the "Roman Catholic Church" or the Protestants or the Bapists or the Mormans, etc. It was all just called Christianity. What do you think started the whole thing. Because of that and of other things, people broke apart from the church and made they're own ones, Martin Luther broke apart to make the Protestant church, John Calvin broke apart to make the presbyterian church, and after all that, the Pope and all the other people left in the original religion decided to reform it by getting rid of all the abuses in it, and it was given the name the Catholic Church to distingush itself from the others. And there was no need for all this religion bashing so be nice or get lost.

Also, the term Christian should be used loosly, people who believe in God and Heaven and Hell, etc. but can't help themselves or have accepted the fact that they are going to hell, but they still believe in the Christian religion, they just not good at being one, so if they are not Christians, what are they?

And don't go saying things like "Pergatory doesn't exist" because we still believe it does, we just don't believe it can be bought. If you are going to say something like that, say "I believe that ...."
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 7:57 pm, 20th September 2002
I referred to it as the Roman Catholic church so that people wouldn't be confused. I know that there was only one church at the time. I am very familiar with church history.

The term Christian should be applied to those who follow Christ, which is what the meaning of the word is. I don't know what you would call others. Maybe theists?

I didn't know you still believed in purgatory. I would like to know what you base that belief on, because it's not in the Bible. I said it doesn't exist because it doesn't. Sorry if the truth conflicts with your beliefs. No hard feelings. Smile

Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 8:13 pm, 20th September 2002
How can you prove it doesn't exist, there is no prove either way, thats what faith is about, the bible can be interpreted in many ways
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 9:37 pm, 20th September 2002
Ok, so we can't prove it either way, but what do you base your belief in purgatory on? The Bible tells us about heaven and hell, but makes no mention of purgatory. (I'm not trying to have a debate, just really curious.)

Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 9:38 pm, 20th September 2002
Dobberman said:
How can you prove it doesn't exist, there is no prove either way, thats what faith is about, the bible can be interpreted in many ways

Thats exactly the problem. The bible CAN be anything anyone wants it to be. It was pretty vague. That and sometimes people want to believe something so bad (like commiting a crime ex: purgatory) that they twist or interperet the bible until they have it exactly how they want it. Thats how all these different (and sometimes strange) religions popped up.
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 11:29 pm, 20th September 2002
I dunno, I didn't say that I personally believe in Purgatory, I just said catholics in general do. I suppose it for those who aren't bad enough to go to hell, but not good enough to go straight to heaven.