EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

TOTAL n00b

EFMods Forum Archive - Mapping Help
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 11:33 pm, 3rd November 2002
Well, I finally found EFradient, and I need help with the following:

1. How do I select objects after I de-selected them?

2. Whats the 'standard' thickness of walls, and height of ceilings. also, size of room about the size of the bridge on voyager. (in the cube thingies)

3. How do i make objects like chairs, i right clicked, but they're not there.

4. how do I make Windows?

5. How do i make doors?

6. And things like viewscrrens etc. Do I just make a thin "wall" and add a texture?

7. I just add textures by selecting them and then making walls, right?

And, what about diagonal things, i only know how to make up, down, left, right, back, forward.

Any help, or any very good tutorials would be of great help.
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 12:36 am, 4th November 2002
Commander luke said:
Well, I finally found EFradient, and I need help with the following:

1. How do I select objects after I de-selected them?

Hold down shift and click on the object.
Commander luke said:
2. Whats the 'standard' thickness of walls, and height of ceilings. also, size of room about the size of the bridge on voyager. (in the cube thingies)

Depends on what size cube thingies you're using. I find the default thickness to be too thick, I don't know how to change it, and besides with the smaller thickness Raven used I have trouble working with in efRadient.

Anyways, assuming you're setting for cube thingies is the same as mine, a doorway is six cubes long by half a cube wide. If you want to know about sizes of Raven's maps, you can download the map files from effiles.
Commander luke said:
3. How do i make objects like chairs, i right clicked, but they're not there.

I'm not sure myself, but you can copy-paste them from Raven's maps.
Commander luke said:
4. how do I make Windows?

Make a brush and select the clear glass texture. I can't remember which group it's in though.
Commander luke said:
5. How do i make doors?

Make the brush a func_door
Commander luke said:
6. And things like viewscrrens etc. Do I just make a thin "wall" and add a texture?

Yup, make a brush, apply a texture. Thickness depends on how you're doing it.
Commander luke said:
7. I just add textures by selecting them and then making walls, right?

Or the other way around.
Commander luke said:
And, what about diagonal things, i only know how to make up, down, left, right, back, forward.

In the rotate submenu there's a free rotation thing.
Commander luke said:
Any help, or any very good tutorials would be of great help.

Kevin Chapman posted this a few months ago. It's how I started.
http://www.geocities.com/efmapmaker/

Captain of the USS Serenity
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 7:44 am, 4th November 2002
Cool, that helps. Now, my textures seem to be "misplaced" on whatever I put them on. Is there a way to have them center on the selected peice?

And, are light points needed? or are they something like extra?

Edit: Okay, looking at old posts i found that i had to push the "s" key, but when i click on "fit" it says, you need a face selected not a whole brush. How do I do that?
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 2:45 pm, 4th November 2002
I don't know how to select a face, but if you fiddle with the horizontal/vertical scaling/shifting you can fix 'em that way.

If you don't put lights in, you won't be able to see anything because it will be too dark. And when you put lights in, you might want to change the intensity because the default is a bit bright.

WadeV
Cadet 1st Year

Posted at 9:45 pm, 4th November 2002
Ctrl+Shift+Click to select a single face....and while we're on the topic of face-only texturing....build your map out of the texture common/caulk then texture visible sides of brushes only - an old mapping thing for EF people - it's kinda dieing out with the new YDNAR compiler (it is pretty much perfect at auto-caulking non visible sides), but still, it's one of those little things that make you a better mapper Happy
"Let judgement be that of truth and not of spite
or lust." - circa 1589
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 10:47 pm, 4th November 2002
Thanks a bunch Scooter, Wade. I am moving along rather smoothly...

Right now i'm making a test map of my house.
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Scooter
Morale Officer

Posted at 11:02 pm, 4th November 2002
Thanks for the tip Wade, that's come in quite useful.

Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 2:13 am, 5th November 2002
All right, now I compile it under "Fullvis (nolight)" and I put the .BSP file in my BaseEF/Maps folder, yet when I go in and type in "map Smallship" (the name being smallship) yet, it starts loading, after the first "pip" it says smallship not found. I have no idea whats up, any ideas?
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 5:48 pm, 5th November 2002
type sv_pure 0 in the console.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 6:50 pm, 5th November 2002
Thanks Dob, wow everything is so much smaller than it looks in radiant...

Anyway, you guys should be expecting a release by the end of the week.

P.S. You make ladders simply by selecting the "texture" ladder and applying it on a ladder you made, right?
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:14 pm, 5th November 2002
no, that would make it invisable Wink

Make a ladder, then make a large rectangular block in front of it where the player will crawl up, and give that the ladder shader.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.