EFMods Forum Archive
[Click here to go to EFMods.com]

Upgrade the forums!

EFMods Forum Archive - General
Superrobster
Cadet 2nd Year

Posted at 8:55 am, 6th November 2002
You MUST update the forums ASAP to the latest version. The DS9 - BoP forums were hacked because we were not running the latest versions. The admin there lost ALL posts and ALL topics!

Just a 'heads-up'.
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 9:01 am, 6th November 2002
Uh-Oh! Now that I've passed the 1000 mark, it would suck to have to start over. Eek!

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 2:59 pm, 6th November 2002
Dont worry, Dobberman has been well informed, I sent a PM to him on Monday about the problem, and didnt post it here as it may have caused the rest of you to panic.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Commanding Officer - Starbase 460
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
Commander luke
Commander

Posted at 6:53 pm, 6th November 2002
Panic, panic. Why would we panic... AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn, lost 400 posts...
Logalot
Lieutenant

Posted at 8:32 pm, 6th November 2002
Well, we would lose all the VG posts if we were hacked, is someone keeping a backup of those?
Co-Manager of Elite Roleplaying
Had nightmares of all the bad ideas recieved about the ERP map.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:24 pm, 6th November 2002
don't worry about it, as soon as Simmo told me I backed it up.
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 10:29 pm, 6th November 2002
Weren't you already backing them up? I remember Vanhal telling us how big they were getting.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 10:33 pm, 6th November 2002
yeah, it got too big for his 56k
No matter what I choose, no matter how much I buy, the ones I love will always be the ones who pay. Whatever life holds in store for me, I will never forget these words, "with great parents comes great reliability." This is my gift; their purse. Who am I? I'm Dobberman.
Manhunter
Commander

Posted at 2:15 am, 7th November 2002
Someone hacking would be the worst thing that could happen to this forums and to other forums because you would loose contact with everyone and you would loose all your info. Wha? Eek!

Chief of Security/Tactical on the USS Serenity

Dogbert
Commander

Posted at 2:27 am, 7th November 2002
We know! There's always the alternative of MSN! which some people don't want to get because they are weird.

Navigator - USS Serenity

sporto78
Captain

Posted at 4:41 am, 7th November 2002
The only one I need is AIM.

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 6:30 pm, 7th November 2002
sporto78 said:
The only one I need is AIM.

Even though it lists your MSN Address in your profile?

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
REMEMBER: Scooter crashed the SQL Server on 25th November 2002 - really? did he? i forgot that
sporto78
Captain

Posted at 7:23 pm, 7th November 2002
I have MSN and Yahoo instant messangers, but I'm only on AIM unless I want to talk to someone who refuses to get AIM. I'm flexible. Wink

Commander Sporto78
Chief Engineer
U.S.S. Serenity

Life is good.
Vanhal
is going to kill you!!!

Posted at 9:16 pm, 7th November 2002
OK,
question: What EXCATLY happened there?
question: What version were they using?
question: How come NO one else has got hacked?
question: how come when i went to check the site, it was install maode(meaning the config file was deleted or sql database was deleted)?
question: How come if you go there now the WHOLE forum is gone?
question: How long do you think it would take me to update the forums?

well?
answers anyone?

What i beleive happened is that some one hacked the sql database(where they even using sql?) and did the stuff from there.

Now presonly i want to be hack(cracked acculely, hacking requires writing a program to infultrate a system) so then we'll know how big we really are Happy

j/k
anyway the broads are backed up every few days and can easly be put back to where they were.

Last edited by Vanhal on 31 Feb 2003 25:71, edited 9385 times in total
Simmo666
Rear Admiral

Posted at 9:30 pm, 7th November 2002
Vanhal said:
question: What EXCATLY happened there?

One day the forums were perfect, the next day all but one of the forums were gone, all the other posts were lost, post counts were not affected, the names of the pages etc were renamed.
Then, Chaos had to delete the forums, install a new version, and reupload an old backup of the forums.

Vanhal said:
question: What version were they using?

They were using phpbb2 (I dont know the exact version, but it was either 2.0.0, 2.0.1, or 2.0.2).

Vanhal said:
question: How come NO one else has got hacked?

I dont know. Coincidence?

Vanhal said:
question: how come when i went to check the site, it was install maode(meaning the config file was deleted or sql database was deleted)?

Chaos had to remove the forums completely, and reinstall them, thats why it was back in install mode, reinstalling them.

Vanhal said:
question: How come if you go there now the WHOLE forum is gone?

The WHOLE forum is not gone now, I've been there several times today, but all the posts after somewhere in August are missing.

Vanhal said:

Dont know. An hour? Maybe?

Vanhal said:
well?
answers anyone?

There, I gave you answers.

Vanhal said:
What i beleive happened is that some one hacked the sql database(where they even using sql?) and did the stuff from there.

I think they were using sql. Someone hacked it and did the stuff I said at the start of the post. If you want more information, talk to Chaos.

Rear Admiral Simmo666
Member of the Year 2002
Vanhal
is going to kill you!!!

Posted at 9:47 pm, 7th November 2002
Simmo666 said:
Vanhal said:

Dont know. An hour? Maybe?

ah.. NO
it took me the better part of an hour just to put one mod on, theres about 6 mods on this board now, and to update the whole board to the latest would take a long time, scince i'd have to put all those mods back on cause the sql thinks they're there, but the boards well say "NOoooooooo its not there damm you" so no i't won't take an hour, it will take about (give or take a minute) 4 hours and 51 and a half minutes, or the best of a day.

Simmo666 said:
I think they were using sql. Someone hacked it and did the stuff I said at the start of the post. If you want more information, talk to Chaos.

WHO THE HELL IS CHAOS??

Last edited by Vanhal on 31 Feb 2003 25:71, edited 9385 times in total
Dobberman
Fleet Admiral

Posted at 9:49 pm, 7th November 2002
Chaos is the leader of ds9 bop and their forums.